Sunday, August 5, 2007

Very Busy

Hi Megs,

I know you and Nathan have been very busy and so have we - but trying to get your father to take it easy. I guess that is what summer is for - to be out there doing things. It has been beautiful weather here (with some fog in the morning - and some fog all day!) and also nice times when it rains and then have an excuse to stay in and muck about. I know you enjoyed being with Nathan's family at the beach. There also must now be a 4th part of the mystery stole3 that you are working on. I have been hooking for the most part.

We had a Rotary Garage sale in the fog. We made over $700 with all our "stuff". It was warm but the fog made it nice and enough people saw us at the side of the road. It was funny. At one point we couldn't see from one end of the long table to the other the fog was so thick. We had to laugh - that is Yarmouth!

My knitting did very well at the Western Nova Scotia Exhibition. The lace shawl, little purse, yellow sweater, and Lady Eleanor all won firsts and Lady Eleanor won "Best Knitted Article". I also won a first with my biscuits in the cooking. I helped Emmi Comeau, the Director of the Handcrafts, Flowers and Cooking sort things and prepare the exhibit. She made me "Associate Director". My gray wool socks came in second - Emmi beat me out - she had a really interesting way to do the heel. She does the slip-one on the reinforced heel but does it on the opposite stitch so it makes a honeycomb pattern instead of a rib. I made a special exhibit for Rug Hooking and encouraged members to enter - which they did - so we had a very nice display.






























I have started a shawl loosely based on "A wide triangle", a shawl I found in Victorian Knitting Today. The pattern reminded me about picots and showed how to add a bead to them. The yarn is different, I am making long (3 cast on) picots and putting 3 small beads on every other row instead of every third row. It is turning out very well. I like the way it hangs. The beads are dark red/gray with a green/gray sheen. They are hard to describe. The yarn is Lodband Einband by istex from Iceland. It is lace weight and really nice heather gray.




































Looking forward to an update on your mystery shawl and all that you have been doing. Your father is taking it easy as he should. I am going on an (don't laugh) ocean kayaking trip with some "mature" women next week. Looking forward to this - their company - but way out of my comfort zone! Don't think I am taking any knitting!

Hello Nathan - a hug for you. Give Rushka a pat for me.

Love ya,

Mom

No comments: