Sunday, January 27, 2008

Knitter, Rug Hooker, Spinner and now Crochet?

Hi Megs,

I loved your pictures of Zanzibar! Wow. I then went into the link to all the pictures. You and your new husband (an our new son), Nathan, look so happy! What a wonderful adventure. I particularly like the pictures of the beach and boats and where you stayed. It brought back memories of Namibia - our funny little house on the Kanini River. Like all mothers, I love to see my children happy, happy.

We are enjoying our winter. There is something about winter - looking outside with the snow, frost, rain, wind but being cozy inside. I got up about 6:15 yesterday morning and looked out and there were 6 deer eating grass through the sprinkling of snow right outside the front windows. It was beautiful.

I am really enjoying working away on my knitting, rug hooking and spinning - and I have added crochet. I had not taken up a crochet hook for 30 years. I saw this pattern for a ruck sack in an old Rowan Magazine (#16). I had some Noro (I always keep a supply of Noro around - I love knitting with it) Kureyon so I stated messing with it - found the little wrist twist came back really fast - and before long it was done! Really like it. I did cheat with the straps. I got this funny little knitting machine on EBay - from the 1940's. It makes I-cord by turning the little crank. It is a very solid little thing - made of metal. It is called the Hobby-Knit. I didn't think Noro, not being spun tightly, would fit it it but it did. I cranked away and out came the I-cord. It has 6 hooks so it makes a really nice dense cord. It is a hoot! I really like the colours of the Noro that came through on the bag. This is a keeper! My new knitting bag!

And my spinning - having a grand time with this. I am getting better. I plied my first wool - and you can see from the balls of yarn - from left to right - good, better, best.... I now want to play with some colour and maybe some dying. But I do like the natural colours. Don't know what I am going to make with it yet.

I have also been knitting. I made two more little purses - played with the design and with beads. I like the way they look.
As to rug hooking. I am working on a mat I don't like - a Welcome Mat with lobster boats - that is using a big cut - #6 - just want to get it finished. I like a small cut, #3 or #4 at the largest. What I am looking forward to is a mat that Pam MacIsaac-Adams drew for me of your father's grandfather's house in Sedalia (1878). I am colour planning it now and will try to dye the wool myself or have Pam help me. I took a picture of the house when we were home this summer and she drew the mat based on it. Stan's aunt, Betty Bob, who with Uncle Van (Stan's dad's youngest brother) now own the house and farm, is in the picture with the wheelbarrow.

I think it will be really nice when I finish it. I am itching to get started. I am going to White Point Beach again, Feb 3-6, for a 4 day hook-in with the South Shore women. We are also going to have a 4 day hook-in at our house for the local hooking groups, Carpetbaggers and Rugg Bees, Feb 18-21. I have to get the wool dyed so I can work on it so I can take it to these. I think they will like hooking at our house because it is easy to clean the hardwood floors - and the views and lots of light.

So, I am spinning, knitting, rug hooking and now crochet. Busy, busy. And then there is "the shop", Hands on Crafts. Doris and I took part in a Women's Winterlude show yesterday - a showcase for women in business. We had THE most colourful booth and met a lot of people who didn't know about the shop or didn't know all the things we now have rug hooking supplies, wool, roving, and beads. It was fun.
In the middle, front you can see the rug I am working on know (one the frame with the green cover around it (the cover protects my wrists from the gripper strips)). It says "Welcome" and has two lobster boats on it - one yellow, one red.

I went to see the movie, Juno with some of my Kayaking buddies - really recommend it. As a former high school teacher and principal I can tell you that it was so real! These are not "Hollywood" 16 year olds but REAL 16 year olds. So well written and acted - and Ellen Page is from Halifax.

We have been going to Mariner hockey games, to Bruno's special dinners and enjoying winter and just keeping cozy in the house. It has been a nice winter.

Take care.

Love ya,

Mom
XXXXOOOOPPPPP

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love your Zanzibar pictures! Aunt Ellen