Tuesday, January 22, 2013

 

It is a snowy day here so the best thing to do is knit. 

The sweater I made (see January 14th post) for my friend Diana came out really nice I think.  It fits her perfect and she looks beautiful!  I adjusted the pattern sizes and it really worked. 







 
I needed a new challenge so I started - again - the Alice Starmore Boudicca's Braid, a Celtic knot pattern using 5 colours from her book Aran Knitting 1997.  I started this back in 2000 - I bought all of the wool, Alice Starmoure's Scottish Campion - but found it really hard to get it going.  I was working and didn't have the time and I don't think I had the skill then.  When our daughter came home from Africa and wanted to learn to knit and wanted to Knit Rowan's Sweet, book 26, 1999.   It called for a fine yarn and the only yarn I had that would work was the Scottish Campion for Boudicca's Braid.   So she made the sweater out of that and even a little purse using the contrasting colours.  He first sweater was just beautiful and it was selected to be in a juried craft exhibit and the Mary Black Gallery in Halifax, NS.  So my sacrifice was well worth it.  About 8 years ago I found the kit for this sweater on e-bay at a very reasonable price and I was the only bidder so I had the yarn again.  Now I have no excuses not to try again so .... here goes.  I am actually enjoying it now.
 
 
 
 
This is what it should look like when it is finished - and a detail of the knots.
 
 
 
 
 
Call me crazy but it seems to be working well this time - I think I now have the patience and more understanding of what I am doing.  I hope this does not become my life's work but finishing this sweater is on my bucket list.

No comments: