Thursday, July 12, 2007

Hi Megan, Susan, Ellen & Meredith!

Hi Megs,

Susan, Ellen and Meredith should be there by now - hi sisters and great niece! I know you will have as grand a time in San Francisco and we did! Megan and Nathan - they really know how to show you a good time. Just wanted to say hello!

Have not been doing much once I got the magazine done. I am waiting for it to come back from the printer.

There was a terrific presentation and exhibit at the Yarmouth Branch of the the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia. We had Alabama's Gee's Bend Quilters exhibit here - some of their quilts and some from the local area. What was really nice was that Mary Lee Bendolph and her daughter-in-law, Louisiana P. Bendolph. First we saw the PBS documentary about Gee's Bend Quilters, then Mary Lee and Louisiana talked to us about their backgrounds and what gives them the inspiration for their quilts, then they deomonstrated for us. It was just magic! Mary Lee sang for us and really talked about herself. I had a nice talk with Louisiana after the formal session and she is just so interesting. Louisiana is doing a more modern version of the quilts, more thought out, less spontaneous and using "found materials" as does Mary Lee. Both are really interesting but Mary Lee's are powerful images and textures. I have never really liked formulaic patterned quilts but I do love theirs. I had seen a little of this exhibit when I was in Austin but being able to talk to the artists was really a different experience.

I have picked up my rug hooking again. I want to finish the Oriental, East Meets West, by the House of Price but I have adapted it for our family. I have both Carrie and Rushka in it as well as Susan, Ellen, Jack, Mother, Dad and Clay and You, Stan and Me. It is coming along very well. I am working on Rushka now. Jack is on "the Silver Steak" (bottom left) (Ellen and Susan will know what that is!), mother has the school bell, my father is driving the bus, Susan, Ellen and I are jumping rope, Megan has school books (partly finished (just legs) - up near the dogs), Clay is in yellow and Dad is in blue. Carrie is finished and Rushka is drawn. I am going to draw Nathan at the top and change one of the houses to a garden - my father always had a garden. It is oriental in that it is hooked in a straight line across the piece.

I am sure you will you are all going to have a great time in San Francisco. Take lots of pictures. I am putting in a picture of the GSE team in Brazil. Just getting the pictures sorted out. (l to r) Nola, Me, Amy, Heather-Ann. We are in Erechim.

Love you all,

Mom

No comments: