Thursday, July 5, 2007

Mystery Beginnings

Hi Mom,

Well it is late on Thursday evening but I can finally say that I have completed Clue 1 of my mystery stole, and just in the nick of time - Clue 2 comes out tomorrow, and now I'm ready!

The madness started last Friday with the release of the first clue - I think I've been averaging 300 or so emails a day from knit-along members every since - some of whom actually finished the first day! Now, the stole begins life as a triangle, so many of the first rows are short. And I admit that after I got through Chart A (the first 50 rows) I did rip back 20 rows or so to correct a series of badly executed fudges where I had forgotten to put the beads on the far end (I now have a hopefully foolproof reminder system in place, we'll see how it goes). But I do not have the time, singleness of purposed or clearly the fast fingers needed to do this so quickly! Chart B (the second 50 rows) took me several days to work through and I really had to push tonight to get it done. I have a feeling I will start to fall behind with the next clue, which will likely have 100 rows of 99 stitches each to conquer. Especially with my push to get the gifts for Sarah complete (they would be already, if I didn't keep ripping back to re-do issues that probably only I can see) and my determination to really make headway on both my knitted and crocheted short sleeve sweaters. We'll see how it all goes!

For now, though, here is a journey of my progress so far:

First step was to print the 3 pages of the chart, then cut & paste them together;
(actual clue details obscured to protect the Mystery aspect)


By the end of the weekend I finally had Chart A complete (for the second and final time);


After a week of perseverance, Chart B is done and I've finished Clue 1!

Of course, since I got the Zephyr that I'm using for the Mystery Stole in Columbia, MO, it would only be right to add in some photos that we took while on the trip to Jeff City. We don't have any pictures of the wedding itself (why would we do a silly thing like that?) but we do have buildings and other odd sights well represented:


The sign & station at Jefferson Landing, the city train depot (where we watched the loooooooooooooooooooooooooongest train of coal cars I have ever seen go by!)


The funky little piece of urban graffiti on unused train cars that appeared to us AFTER the loooooooooooooooooooooongest train of coal cars finally passed us by.


The capital building. How could we leave without taking a picture of that?

And speaking of things from Jefferson City, I think your choice of sweater pattern for the newest Evan is perfect - they will love it. I'm sure you'll get it done before he's too old to wear it! Even with so many projects on the go. There is a perpetual discussion on my email knitting lists about how much stash is too much stash. I think your ongoing use of the Schoeller yarn is example enough of how prescient it can be to grab as much of a good bargain as you can when the opportunity presents!

Congratulations on finishing the issue of the rug guild magazine too. Now you get to rest & relax for a while - at least until the next one is due!

Happy knitting,

Megan

No comments: