Friday, July 27, 2007

Mystery Stole Update

Hi Mom,

In your last post you asked about my Mystery Stole, so I thought I'd give up an update. I am happy to say that I am still going strong and have been able to keep up with all the clues so far. The pointed end is a first for me and I'm curious to see how it will all work out in the end. Here is my finished progress two weeks ago (at the end of Clue 2):


And again last week, at the end of Clue 3:


You may be able to tell that I am putting lifelines in at the end of each clue. There are really just for me to be able to mark my progress rather than for any real 'safety' reason. I have had to rip down a few rows twice so far to fix mistakes, but each time the stickiness of the Zephyr has held the stitches for me to pick up with relative ease. The measuring tape at the end of Clue 3 was to measure out how far I'd come as we should have been 1/3 of the way by that point. I eked out 24" with just a dry pinning which will give 72" minimum overall so I think I'll be alright!

As I said, the pointy shape is a new one for me, as are the beads; I'm still not sure how I'll like it all when it's finally done but for now I'm just enjoying the process. At present I am in the middle of super-long and super-repetitive Clue 4 (with a cat's paw lace pattern over and over and over again). We have two weeks for this Clue so that Melanie, the designer and head of this whole extravaganza, can have time off to read HP7 to her son! (I'm bringing my copy to the beach this weekend...)

Next Friday is the all-important Clue 5, where Something Big is going to happen. We were told emphatically to put a lifeline in at a very specific point in Clue 4 and to NOT purl back after the last row of the Clue, so I have no idea what is coming next! Clue 5 is also where the theme will be revealed. What will it be? So far the guesses have included everything from Pirates of the Caribbean to Swan Lake to Tibetan Gods & Goddesses. All I know is that I have no idea -I'm waiting to be surprised!

Megan

No comments: