Saturday, February 17, 2007

Spring!

Hi Megs,

I agree, even though the snow is beautiful, the cold and blow of last few weeks have just about done us in. All we can do is admire the snow and it gives an excuse to stay in and knit, hook, read or just sit. We did get out yesterday for our Valentine dinner at Bruno's. Couldn't go on Valentines day because of a blizzard. It was a beautiful meal - Ceasar salad, pumpkin soup and crab stuffed chicken and a wonderful white and dark chocolate thing for dessert. Finally a beautiful sunny day today but cold. I wish to see my flowers peaking through the ground but first have to get rid of the snow.

I love your scarf done by enterlac. Although I have seen many patterns using this technique, never tried it myself. But the scarf in Scarf Style really looks nice. I have tried domino knitting and of course my favorite-sweater-I-didn't-knit (Northern Isles) and the one I get the most complements on with people saying, "Did you knit that" and unfortunately I have to say, "No, I didn't" (GRRRRRRR). I like any of these techniques that look like patchwork but that you don't have to sew the little blocks together.

I have to admit that I have been ebaying and have been buying vintage knitting pattern books. I got a great one of "cowboy" knits for children. I was driven by the image of your father, around 1949 in his cowboy outfit. But really thought they were cute. I also got some vintage sock and mitten patterns, some bedspreads (go figure) and some lace patterns.







And - remember the yarn for your first sweater - the great purple sweater , Sweet by Kim Hargaves (Rowan Book 26)? I found the yarn for it in the basement. It was slightly the worst for being down there since about 1998. I bought the yarn, Alice Starmore Scottish Campion, for the pattern Boudicca's Braid by Alice Starmore in her book Aran Knitting. I did start it but with all that was going on with job and all, I never finished it. It is a highly complicated pattern. Well - on Ebay I found the yarn (25 skeins in all) for exactly that project in the exact colours I originally bought - so I bought it again (at a very reasonable price). I now have a second chance at this project. It was a "find" because Campion is no longer made. So I will try it again - now that my life is calmer. Or maybe I just should say "someday" and add this yarn to my "collection". I will, however, store it in a better place.

As you can see I am in a "dreaming about knitting" thing right now - waiting for spring. What I am working on are triangular shawls. They are fast but dumb knitting. I am going to make 4 more of the shawl I made for myself (see post on January 13) for the members my team I am leading for the Rotary Group Study Exchange to Brazil in May. We have to dress alike - in a sort of Rotary garb thing - so we decided if we have to do this we are going to be as stylin' as possible. The members (all women) really liked my shawl from hand spun natural Marino (dark brown), spun by Doris Cook, so I committed to doing the shawls. We also thought it would be a good way to showcase Nova Scotia's wool and crafts. I have until the middle of May to finish them. I may ask some of my knitting buddies to make one (or two) for me because it is really boring knitting. I am almost finished with number two.

We are busy but content.

Love ya, Mom XOP

No comments: