Thursday, February 1, 2007

Too Many Stashes

Hi Megs,

Love the adventures of Flat Stanley in San Francisco. I am sure he will have a lot to tell Meredith and her class with he gets back to Missouri. You should knit him a flat scarf and a hat before he goes home.

Went to the Yarmouth Knitting Guild last night. We all had a grand good time. I brought along my socks and lace shawl to "show and tell". Everyone was working away on hats, socks, sweaters, scarf. I sewed on my four panel jacket - have it almost all together and ready for the I-cord trim. I really like the socks so much I added to my stash of wool - again! That is the down-side (or up-side) of meeting at Hands on Crafts - too much wool calling your name. I got more Briggs and Little 1-ply sock yarn. Two are Durasport - wool with 20% nylon and one of Sport (red) - 100% wool. Wanted to try socks with the sport and see if they are any different. And I agree with you, knitting the patterned socks out of anything but solid (or almost solid) colours really takes away from the design.

But - think I am a "sick" woman! I just keep adding to my wool stash. But really love the possibilities when I look at a skein on yarn.
I started a scarf with wool that Samantha Nickerson - one our Guilders - dyed in blues with a touch of purple. I am using the Rowan pattern that I love, Dew, Rowan #26 - the one you used to match the first sweater you made. It knits so fast and is so simple but interesting. I tried other lace patterns with this yarn but again, there is too much changes in colour that detract from the lace pattern. Lace needs to be done in a solid colour - much more effective.

And like you, sometimes I just get tired of using double point needles and like to go back to straight one although I usually go back to circulars when the straight ones wang against my knitting chair or get caught up your sleeve. I am using short good old aluminum needles from my needle stash (thanks to e-bay and garage sales). Not even going to mention the wool stash I have for rug hooking. "She who has the most yarn, needles and wool wins".
I heard from Clay - he is in the Barbados - landed safely. The only glitch was trying to set up the internet. Hard life on the island! He said he would send pictures.
Hope your box arrives someday and in as few pieces as possible!
Love ya, Mom XOP

No comments: