Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Flat Stanley's Adventures

Hi Mom,

Love that sweater - it should be really nice when it is finished. Like a big blanket to wrap yourself in. Do you close it with a button? Should be perfect for spending some time by the shore!

I was pretty sure that double knitting would be in your repertoire too - I am sure you have seen many many trends come & go! But trying it to the nth degree would be too much for me - two balls are fiddly enough for my taste. Once I got into the flow of things it was easy to keep the two pieces separate, but with more than 2 strands that might have gotten a wee bit more confused. It is good to know, though, that it is possible!

I am taking a break from picking up the dpns for more double-knitting on the sleeves (hmm, wasn't this experiment supposed to help me get these done faster?) by working on my socks. The pattern is coming along really nicely, almost like leaves flowing up the foot. I am about 4 repeats in to each of the socks by now, and should be able to start the heel flap soon if all continues at this steady pace - at least it goes pretty quickly whenever I get a chance to pick these up. Now that I am driving more, my travel along projects don't get quite the attention they used to. (I am sure that the pedestrians of San Francisco are thankful!)

Is Clay all ready for his Caribbean adventures? I am sure it will be a really nice break from Toronto for him, at the very least! I hope he sends us photos to post while he is away...

I have been busy the past month adventuring all around San Francisco with Flat Stanley, thanks to Meredith who sent him to me as part of a project for her grade 4 class. He is on his way back home to Missouri right now to tell everyone about all the places he visited while he was here. Since I had so much fun taking him around (he got me to go to places on my 'to visit' list - and he was recognized everywhere we went, like traveling with a celebrity!) that I thought I'd share some of the photos with you too. So here we have:

Flat Stanley at Corona Heights, with downtown in the background, and in downtown by the cable cars:

















In Yerba Buena and in Chrissy Field, in front of the Golden Gate Bridge:
























Visiting the sea lions at Fisherman's Wharf, and the bison in Golden Gate Park:
















In front of the WPA murals in the lobby of Coit Tower, and up in the observation deck of the de Young tower:

















At Ocean Beach with Rushka (that's the Pacific in the background!) and enjoying the atmosphere of the Palace of Fine Arts.






As you can see, we had a lot of fun and explored a lot of the city together. Thanks Meredith - and Flat Stanley too!








I didn't know that there was a photo of me on the Afghans for Afghans page - I was pretty dazed by the time that photo was snapped, as we had gotten over 40 boxes ready for the FedEx pickup by that point - with another 30 to go. It is actually really good, after all the time spent sorting all of the items sent in by knitters from across Canada and the US into boxes of sweaters, hats, mittens, blankets and socks, to see them finally on their way. It is amazing all of the beautiful things that come in!

I hope you have fun at White Point - and that it isn't too cold! I am sure there will be plenty of needlework and bonding by the fire, and hopefully over good food too. It should be a great time.

Megan

PS My box in still in Montreal. I don't even begin to understand the inner workings of customer relations at UPS anymore, except to know that it is very, very, very broken.

No comments: