Monday, January 29, 2007

Double Knitting Fun

Hi Mom,

I really like your socks - they make me want to try that pattern again, or at least the Briggs & Little sock yarn - I love that gray. May be perfect for a pair of Snicket Socks? I will have to keep an eye out to see if it is in any of the LYS's here.

If only there weren't so many cables on those socks, I might even be able to try out the new technique I just added to my repertoire - knitting two objects at the same time and on the same needles - using double knitting to make two things at once!

You see, I managed to finish the body of my Klaralund in record time - less than one week all the way from cast-on to cast-off. Doesn't it look great? I am so much happier now that I am working with the silk garden - the colors are just so beautiful, and still always surprising.


Now, it's true that I only needed to go as far as the armholes but still that's pretty fast, which I attribute to being able to knit it all in one tube in the round. So now that the sleeves are next, I was searching for a way to do those in the round as well, at least up until where they separate to form the shoulders. But I'm not really a magic looper and using two circulars at once has always seemed too fiddly for me - all those ends hanging out (plus, I only have one circular in size 8, and I'm feeling lazy to go to the store).

Then I found a link to an article on knitty about using the double knitting technique to knit two seperate somethings, rather than one think something, so I thought I'd give it a try. After a bit of a false start where I was very confused about what was meant by having the two yarns on separate sides, the whole thing clicked. Since the yarns I was using were leftover blue and red wools, I decided to practice my making two hats, one red and one blue, for the current Afghans for Afghans collection drive - they are looking for hats in solid color red, blue, green or yellow for children participating in a mobile educational circus. Here are my hats about halfway through the process - since the outside yarn wants to be knit and the inside yarn wants to be purled, I thought I'd just go ahead and let them do that once the ribbing was done. So that in the end I was effectively knitting both of them inside out.














It is slow going, I have to say. I could probably have knit the two hats faster seperately, but where would have been the fun of that? Plus then I would have missed the joy of the 'wow' moment this evening when I finished them off and got to pull them apart:



As you can see, one is red and will go for the mini circus, but the other ended up being striped when I ran out of blue and will have to be for their regular collection. Still, that's two more hats added to the pile, all at once!

Now my next trick is to try this with the actual sleeves, trying to keep the garter ridges in the round straight and all of that. We'll see how it goes. At least it was fun learning something new, although I'm not sure how many times I'll pull this trick out of my hat (ha ha). With lacy sock patterns, I think I'll stick to the two-at-a-time-on-individual-sets-of-dpns. I'm glad to hear that that technique worked well for you too. I'd be making progress on my socks if I wasn't so distracted!

Megan

PS I can't believe you found regular Rooibos at Sobey's. Here there is sometimes too much choice to be able to find real food at all. The American grocery store continues to overwhelm me on a regular basis!

No comments: