Sunday, January 14, 2007

Got it Blocked

Hi Megs,

The blocking of the lace shawl went very fast. Much faster than expected. Sarah, Samantha, Joan, Doris and I pulled and spread and pinned and got it spread out to a 53” square. The original pattern, Frost Flowers & Leaves from Meg Swansen’s A Gathering of Lace used 4mm needles and I used 3.25 mm needles. Using 4 mm needles the shawl was supposed to be a 72” square but I didn’t want it that large. The pattern is by Eugen Beugler. I made it from Jamieson & Smith laceweight Shetland in pale green. I am going down Monday morning before the store opens to unpin it. And it will be done!

I don’t think I can count this as my 2nd FO of the year since I finished it in November but with all the Christmas stuff going on, didn’t get around to blocking it until last night. I started it October 3 2005 – it took over a year. This project cost me more than the yarn. I had to buy extra 3.25 CN by larger and larger lengths because it kept growing. I liked doing the edging – never done an edging like that before. It took forever because I was picking up a 12 stitch edging over 1380 stitches.


It finally is cold here. Yesterday it was up to 8C (sorry, don't know what that is in F) but today it is actually below freezing - about -3C and spitting a little snow. Maybe we will have a little winter after all. Grass is still green and they are still playing golf in Pubnico. Yesterday I confirmed that we have two pair of cardinals. They all showed up at the same time and we also had a flicker at the big feeder in the back yard. Nice.


Love ya, Mom XOP

No comments: