Saturday, January 13, 2007

First finished objects of the year

Hi Mom,

Well, I finally got the camera out and managed to get Nathan to agree to a photo shoot so that I can show off my two first FO's of the year! Not bad for the second week of January (even if they are both technically pieces that I started before 07 began).

The first thing I finished were my Monkey socks, another one of Cookie's great patterns from Knitty (just like the Pomotamus socks I made for your birthday last fall). I am really happy with the result - these socks came together really quickly, and I love the pattern - even if I do wish I had taken a picture BEFORE I washed them. Why? Because sadly the vibrancy of these bright fall colors - the rich greens, yellows and pinks that called out to me when if saw the skeins hanging on the wall at Greenwich Yarns in the Marina - totally washed out in the laundry. The lighting isn't so good, but I tried to capture the difference between the finished socks and the small ball of leftover yarn. So sad!

I also gave in and used the zipper we bought in Yarmouth to finally finish Nathan's cardigan. I had spent the last few days searching local fabric stores here in the vain hope that a zipper of the right style and length could be found in a green that matched, but to no avail. Every single store had exactly the same Coats & Clark zipper in the forest green that we first found. Can we say corporate monopoly? The khaki green I had to settle for is ok, but still not quite right to me. Possibly in part because it's a women's zipper! Which I didn't notice until Nathan pointed it out. Oops!

But all the ends are tucked in now and the sweater is now safely tucked away in the dresser - Nathan is afraid to wear it in case he stretches it out (and in case someone notices that it is the wrong kind of zipper I think) Hopefully we can show it off to the world this weekend. Here he is in it - he swears he is smiling in the photo!

The new sock yarn you have sounds yummy. I am still working up my ideas to use with the two skeins of Fleece Atist sock yarn that I got in Canada. I'll keep you posted on what I come up with!

Megan

1 comment:

ax174 said...

Just wanted to say that I'm loving this blog. I love that it's a mother-daughter effort, and that you both live in completely different but absolutely beautiful places (so that I can enjoy your swell pictures!).