Sunday, January 14, 2007

Great ways to keep warm

Hi Mom,

Your shawls look great! The lace green one will be really beautiful - you are lucky to have so much help to block it out, that really could have been less than fun otherwise. I remember you working on that when you came to visit us last February (for our very successful wedding dress search) and again in Sedona for the wedding. That has been a long work in progress, but it will definitely be worth it the first time you get to put it on and show it off.

I love the idea of making huge lace shawls like that, but I never know when I would wear them. I did make the Flower Basket shawl that was popular when it first came out in Interweave a year or so ago, but it sits unworn even though it is so pretty. I guess I'm still trying to work out how they would fit in my wardrobe.

The brown shawl looks really lovely too - simple but beautiful in its own way. That one will definitely keep you warm on these chilly nights! .

It has been cold here as well - or at least cold for San Francisco. It was 39F last night - just above freezing - and Southern California has even gotten snow. So cold overall that a state of emergency has been called. Nice to stay in and knit!

I am speeding away on small projects right now - I usually have one small speedy project and one larger slow project OTN to balance each other out. I can't handle having more than two at a time as I get stressed out that nothing is getting finished! But having small projects going means I can feel that things are getting accomplished. And I have already finished my first fully started and completed in 07 project, a pair of armwarmers from a Blue Sky Alpaca pattern (I love their yarns, even if I usually use them for baby items - this time I got to make something for me!) Here is a picture of them in progress earlier this week. They are now both done and soaking in the sink waiting to be blocked. Can you tell I had a lot of sitting around time waiting for appointments this week? These should help to keep me warm under my sweaters while the chill persists, although I think I'm going to get the most use out of them this spring with short-sleeved blouses and shirts. They should be perfect to balance the mix of sun and fog that makes the weather here so much fun!

I was going to start socks next, but I'm still working through what pattern to use with the Fleece Artist merino. So instead I think I'm going to use up the extra pink and green yarn as icing for cupcakes from this pattern. A local yarn store which I like but don't go to that often - there is another one between here & there that is just easier to get to - has made a call for knitters to make up these cupcakes to be donated for a window display. I think I'll make one and see how it goes. At the very least it will be a cute pincushion, and give me an excuse to use up the leftovers. Something to play with this Sunday!

Megan

PS Nathan would like to add that he did wear the sweater yesterday and it was warm. And the difference between male & female zippers is how they connect at the bottom - men's connect to the right, women's to the left. Take a look at one of Dad's jacket's and you'll see. The question now is, with the general limitations of zipper selections out there, if there are male zippers out there to buy for the 'hobbyist' seamstress. Any ideas?

No comments: