Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Rainbow bright?

Hi Mom,

Your shawl is beautiful! I hope you are really happy with it. You should take a close-up picture of the lace details to show off all your hard work.

I also hope that you got a lot of good 'hooking' time in yesterday. My projects are somewhat stalled right now so I am still cranking out cupcakes (although there are on hold now too since I've run out of juice bottle caps). I am still not sure where to go with my socks, whether to use an existing pattern or to try something new with one of the designs in my stitch-pattern-a-day calendar. There are so many nice patterns out there calling my name, but it would be nice to take a stab at designing my own too. I'm just not sure what to do!

As for my other "big" project, my sweater, it is knitting up fast but the results are, well, not quite what I was hoping for. The sweater is the Klaralund from Noro, which I really liked for the general drape (helped no doubt by the fact that the model looks to be about 14, so everything just falls off of her). I wasn't thrilled about the price tag that would go with actually using silk garden for it, though so I did a bit of digging for other yarns with similar long colorways and found SWTC's Karaoke, which is a wool and soy blend, and much more affordable. There was a purple/pink/green colorway that looked really nice, so I went for it and placed my order last fall. After finishing up Nathan's sweater last week, I finally had the chance to cast on.

The knitting has sped by working in the round on size 8's (which seem huge!) and I am already over 9" in to the body. The problem is that as it knits up, I am seeing more colors than just the green, pink and purple evident in the ball and the sample shown online. Specifically, I am also seeing yellow and blue. All together, the colorway has developed as: green - yellow - pink - purple - blue - green. What do those colors look like all together in that order? Oh yes, a rainbow.


Now, that is what I can't get out of my head every time I see it. Nathan says I am being too sensitive and that I am tainted by living in-between the Castro & Haight-Ashbury here in SF, so I thought I would photograph this for you and get your opinion. Am I seeing too much? Will the effect be muted by the overall shaping of the garment, or am I in for a rainbow-tie-dye style escape from the 70's?

What do you think? I really need to see this with someone else's eyes!

Megan

1 comment:

Lee said...

I think that the colorway is beautiful and not too hippyish at all!