Sunday, January 21, 2007

Knitting Stash

Hi Megs

I just got back from Halifax - picking the team for the Rotary Group Study Exchange to Brazil - going to be great fun leading the team. But when I got home our cable was down - including our Internet - so just now getting back on. Frustrating.

I am still working away on my grey socks - almost done. In the mean time I did make an I-Pod holder for my "new" I-pod - your brother's cast off. It came out really cute. I still mostly use my pink mini but this one is good for when I forget to charge the battery. I used some left over Monos del Uruguay wool, colour 109, using the pattern from the latest issue of Vogues knit simple (Winter 06/07). Of course I modified it (can't leave anything alone) for the thicker yarn. Used 5 mm needles instead of 4.5mm and a 3 st i-cord instead of 4 and I made the i-cord longer. I think it came out nicer that the one in the magazine - better colours for me.

While you were giving away left-over balls, I was collecting them. One of our rug hookers has had to give up knitting - but not rug hooking. She is in her 80's and a wonderful interesting woman. She wanted a good home for her left-over yarn. Her husband was the original "Toot's" of the magazine shop. She was a war bride from England. I collected some great yarn - some I will keep and the rest I will take to the Knitting Guild to divide up for our projects. We let no ball go unloved!

She had some left over real Cowichan yarn from a sweater she made her son 30 years ago. It is still beautiful. I have some in the basement from a sweater I made Clay years ago so think if I combine them I will have enough for hats and mitts. Love working with this great big soft yarn. Quick, quick to knit something great. So - have added to my stash - there are some great yarns for cupcakes - frosting colours.

We now have our own herd of deer. With the snow - came the herd. It has been very cold so they are very bold. Pawing the snow for the grass - right up against the house to keep out of the wind. They are beautiful to watch. I think they have moved to our lawn because the d'Entremonts started building their house on the last wooded property on the lake - progress!
Stay warm - if that applied is San Francisco.

Love ya, Mom XOP

No comments: