Sunday, January 21, 2007

Yay! Football Sunday

Hi Mom,

Yes, that's right, I got to spend the whole day knitting to two great football games (aside for a brief time out for a nap) - and our two teams won! I had a great time. The biggest excitement was seeing that THE BEARS ARE GOING TO THE SUPERBOWL!! I never thought they would ever get there again. Then the Colts just squeaked it by in a really exciting face-off with the Patriots. The Superbowl is only two weeks away...

Okay, so I'm sure you're asking yourself whether your daughter has completely lost her mind. Football? Have I become totally brainwashed by America? No, just by Glenn and Nathan, both former high-school football players and fans of the game, Glenn in particular. Actually, I think I've been slowly infected by all the time I have spent time with any and every Smith male during the past football seasons. Oh, and watching Remember the Titans on Friday night probably helped too.

Since Glenn is in town this weekend, that meant searching out a sports bar showing the Bears/Saints game this morning, then back to our house for the Colts/Patriots this afternoon. Today, for the first time, the game actually clicked and I was up and cheering with the rest of them. Oh, and I got a lot of knitting done too!

For the first game, which we watched at a sports bar in the Haight across from Kezar Field (former home of the 49'ers - thanks to my neighbor Connie for the recommendation) I watched the Bears win as I worked on my socks in the blue merino fleece artist yarn. I actually broke down this week, in between the cupcakes and frogging my sweater, and decided to just cast using the Baudelaire pattern I had originally picked for this yarn given that everything else had somehow gotten just too complicated. I started working on the size 2's recommended by both the pattern and the sock yarn label, but quickly decided it was just too loose. So I re-started this weekend on 1's while driving to the airport to pick up Glenn. I am know through both toes and into the lace pattern on one. They were much admired by the fans sitting around us and the waitress too. Plus they obviously brought the Bears good luck, so they must be a hit!

Back at home for the second game I switched to my sweater, which I have recast-on with the Noro Silk Garden. Thank you for pushing me to just frog and start again with new yarn - I love how this colorway is working out. I am already on my second ball, so I haven't lost my momentum with this sweater. I am now really excited to keep knitting on it and see how it will develop.

Your Ipod cover looks really cute. I just love Manos - I don't think I've ever knit anything with it that didn't turn out well. And I'm really impressed that you found a pattern to use in Knit1! I have never really been a big fan of that magazine, so to me that is a feat in and of itself.

The yarn haul is great too. So nice to be able to take that all in and give it a new home. I have always wanted to work with Cowichan yarn - it seems so soft and warm. (Probably too warm for San Francisco though - we have finally come out of the deep freeze and it is back around 60 degrees, at least during the day when the sun is out. So nice to leave the sports bar, after watching the Bears play in the snow, to come out into a beautiful day...) The rest of the yarn might be nice to use for a group charity project, if no-one has an immediate home for it.

Rushka was most impressed by the photo of the deer, though. We counted 7 in the photograph in all! She wants you to know that she'd help you take care of them if she was home, although you may enjoy their company right now - they look really beautiful in the snow. Once the spring plants start showing, though, it will probably be another story!

I'm glad that the power is back on and that you are re-connected with the world. Hopefully that will be the last of the winter storms for you this winter - you seem to have gotten a lot of snow in the past few weeks.

Happy knitting,

Megan

No comments: