Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Rainbow

Hi Megs,

Well - think it looks like a rainbow. Sorry to say this but I find that if there is something nagging you about a yarn or a project - the best thing to do is frog it NOW - sooner the better.

I have bought yarn that really looked great in the store and in my mind for a specific project and then when I get it home and rewind it or when I start knitting with it it just doesn't look right. I find this is particularly true with variegated yarns because once knit, the colours just don't blend well. Also, if the variegation is too "regular" - like the computerized yarns - then after you make the body which looks great, the arms are awful! A hand dyed variegated yarn usually has enough differences that you can get away with it - but also sometimes they are the worst because the colours are too close together. I like a really random colour change with large chunks of colour. An example of this is a yarn I saw once (but unfortunately didn't buy and have not been able to find since) I think it was Noro and called "paint" but have never found any reference to it since. It was a solid colour with one splush of colour so that when you knit it you get a solid with one interesting spot from time to time. You want the colours to change but you don't want stripes.

So - think you should start over again, cut your loses because no matter what others say, YOU are never going to like this sweater. You will always feel wonky when you wear it. If you do decide to finish it then give it away ASAP - but not to me! Horizontal rainbow stripes are not going to do a thing for MY figure. Or think of something else to make with the yarn like thick bedroom socks (we call them hockey socks around here).

I am still working on my grey socks - working on both "foot's". I am switching between my knitting and hooking since we are socked in (no pun intended) because it snowed us in again last night and is really cold - for us! It was -13 C overnight. When I woke up last night around 4 am to p.., just outside the living room windows were 5 large deer right up against the house, keeping out of the wind, pawing at the snow for the green grass underneath. Really beautiful and serene. It was magical just to watch them.

I needed this bit of calm and serenity since my car is now at the Motor Mart Collision after it - all by itself (I was at a Doctors appointment) - traveled backwards in the hospital parking lot and hit another car. Fortunately the car my car hit belong to a friend so after the initial crazies we had a good laugh and parted friends. Got to love a small town.


Here are close up pictures of the shawl. Really proud of it.

Love ya, Mom, XOP

No comments: