Thursday, January 25, 2007

Goodies in the mail

Mmmmm..... the picture of the Maple Leaf cookies makes me want to run out to the grocery store (they are available in the states, if you know where to look for them). One of Nathan's employees went to Vancouver for Christmas and brought a box back to the office. They disappeared so fast that Nathan wasn't able to grab any to bring home!

Today has been a day of lots of good things arriving in the mail. First the virtual kind, with a message through one of my online knitting groups linking to a blogger's post about a hooked rug that was brought into her LYS - only it was hooked with yarn, not with wool strips. Thought you might be interested in that - check out the link!

Then I picked up the mail as Rushka and I came in from our morning walk. There waiting for me was my box from KnitPicks with the yarn for the Rowan sweater (Eveleen, from the current Magazine #40) and my very own copy of Mason-Dixon. Looks like a little replica of your own yarn room here in San Francisco! (At least as it looked when I was flipping through your copy of the book and playing with which colors of the KP Palette would be best to make this sweater out of...).

Finally, I got a call from the building's security desk telling me that a package had just been delivered for me. I was so excited to see that it was my Portsmouth Tea! You see, my years living in South Africa have given me a passion for pure, unadulturated Rooibos tea, a wonderful non-caffinated way to warm up in the afternoon. The problem is that it is almost impossible to find in the United States unless I want it mixed with honey, or peach, or mango, or lemon, or any other multitudes of combinations that tea manufacturers here seem to think it needs to make it palatable (even my favorite Numi tea is a culprit). Ever since I ran out of my last teabag (after Nathan scored a box for me at a trade show last year) I have been determined to find a permanent source. Thanks to Daily Candy, a few weeks ago I found out about Portsmouth tea, a company which makes it own unique in-house tea blends, several of them rooibos-based. So I though they must have the 'pure' stuff to use as a base, right? and I called to see if they would sell me some. They did (it is organic to boot) and they would, just for me. See the label? Since we use so much loose tea in this house, I ordered some teabags too (those are the beige things in the picture). I have one filled with rooibos steeping in my mug right now.

Going through all of the sweaters you have made for Dad must have made for quite an afternoon. 34 years of marriage = a lot of sweaters! I am also glad you will find a use for that Rowan yarn - it was really beautiful, but that was not the right sweater for Clay (or really for any male that I know, to be honest). Nathan just shudders at most of the patterns that are out there!

Now I'm off to go play with my new toys....

Megan

PS Now that I've tried it, I can say that this tea is really loveley. Thanks Portsmouth Tea!

2 comments:

A Curious Mammal said...

Hello There,

Just wanted to correct/inform that Numi tea does have a "pure" rooibos called Red Mellow Bush. It is the best rooibos that I have found and was one of the first on the market and is still a high quality pure rooibos flavor I enjoy. I have not tried the Portsmouth though, I'll have to email for my free sample...

Cheers,
Beks

Webmaster Ann Jones said...

Hi Bekah,

I know that Numi also makes a pure Rooibos - only here it's even harder to find than the lime tea! They do, however, also have their fair share of blends, which is what I was trying to link to. I just wish there was one I could find at the grocery store - although having one hand-tinned just for me is pretty cool too!

Megan