Friday, January 19, 2007

A visit to the frog pond, and a quartet of cupcakes

Hi Mom,

Well, I bit the bullet and decided to just rip rip rip out the sweater as it was done so far. While sometimes I've had yarns & patterns surprise me with how they suddenly just all came together at the very end, it just didn't feel like that was going to happen this time.

So I decided to go back to square one, suck it up and just buy the Noro Silk Garden that the pattern called for. After all, there's nothing really the same as Noro, and if that's what gave the look in the pattern that appealed for me then that is what I am going to use. I've never allowed myself to splurge on this yarn, so I figured it was finally time to just get over the price tag and let myself have the experience of working with this yarn for myself.

I also consoled myself - and kept myself occupied - by making cupcakes. 4 in all! I had enough of the pink and green leftovers from the arm warmers to make two of each (actually, I think I could make another pink one, but now I am running low on the brown!) It really is a fun pattern to knit, almost like candy - so easy to do just one more...

Plus, as I was roaming around online trying to take my mind off of the deconstruction of the sweater, I saw that Noe Knit - sponsor of the cupcakes - is having a January promotion where they are collecting odd balls of yarn for local charities, giving a percentage discount for each ball brought in. Now, I have a basket of oddballs, plus now the three used balls I had just unwound from the sweater. Noe Knits carries Noro. Unwanted rainbow yarn + extra oddballs = discount on the Noro I need to restart the Klaralund. Could it be more perfect than that?

So today I gathered up my bag off oddballs and two of the cupcakes (the other two I am going to keep as pincushions for myself, I admit it) and headed off on an excursion to Noe Valley. On the way I mailed all of the unused balls of Karaoke back to the shop I ordered them from. At Noe the two cupcakes were well ooohed and ahhed over, so the obsession was definitely worth it! Plus they had gorgeous Silk Garden, in color 86 (shades of gold, purple and turquoise) which should be perfect for the sweater. They even helped me track down a Dale book of baby patterns with the perfect vintage-style patterns for Sarah's baby (really, it has to be classic for her). All in all a great success!

So in the end I got rid of the top and middle piles, and came home with the bottom pile. Talk about trading up! Oh, and I ordered the Knitpicks yarn for the Rowan sweater we looked at while I was in Yarmouth. And I pre-ordered the new Teva Durham crochet book coming out in May (I loved her first Loop-d-loop). So I didn't actually knit much the week, but oh boy did I participate in much knitting enabling in its place!

Megan

No comments: